Monday, March 19, 2012

Maynard Park Art Show Review

By Art Critic, Sean Travelmore
If you haven’t been down to see the latest art installations at Maynard Park’s venerable art gallery, “El Galleria”, you owe it to your inner docent to pay a visit. The current show is dynamic, eclectic, surprising, inspiring and outraging, all in equal parts. I went to El Galleria for the show’s open, and I’ve chronicled the following report…

When approaching El Galleria, the first thing that you notice are the doors, through which you enter the grand foyer of the gallery. Once in the foyer, I was greeted by Jasmine, who took my coat and asked me to sign the register. I was then guided to descend the gently sloped, dimly-lit narrow ramp down to the main exhibit hall. On my way, I was enticed with the sweet aroma of an array of delectable fair prepared to sate the nosh needs of the patrons of the arts who had gathered away from the cold and chill of these waning days of winter.

First up was a tray of Spicy Wonton Triangles with Garlic Hummus to dip. I pondered its contrast long enough to detect a note of sage that spoke to a sense of emotional realism. Before I could look up, a sudden movement crossing from my left field of vision revealed a succulent platter of Tuna Nicoise Canapés. Oh, these were so good. I had two.

My sojourn down the ramp and into the hub and splash of the gallery fair tired my feet and I needed to momentarily sit to fully take in my surroundings, climbing the figurative banks of the river to bask in the swirl without being a part of it. From my perch, I was able to balance a glass of freshly poured Sauvignon Blanc in one hand, and juggle both a Mini Beef Wellington and a Sweet Potato Cake with Fresh Cranberry Relish in the other.

My friend, and local artist Stephanie Marklark, stopped by to chat with her own small-plate of Coconut Shrimp with Curried Hummus, and Pepper-Crusted Beef Crostini with Arugula. We did some snack trades, plate-to-plate, and then got lost in conversation about reupholstering projects over several more rounds of wine.

Before we knew it, the lights were being blinked to encourage our ushering back up the narrow ramp, to our coats, and back out into the sense refreshment of outdoor air, filled with images and tastes that would inspire us as we rejoined our lives.